Friday 11 March 2011

Japan Earthquake

Hello, it's me again.

Whilst I'm here I'd just like to write a short post about today's events in Japan. The biggest quake in Japan's recorded history, at 8.9 on the richter scale occured 150km off the coast of Japan today, which caused a massive Tsunami that has a lot of the area surrounding Tokyo under water. Some 8,000 military vessels are involved. Japan's most devastating quake in 150 years.
Other countries such as Hawaii, Australia and Mexico are, and were in danger of being hit by smaller Tsunamis caused by the same quake in the Pacific Ocean.

I was in the shower when I heard about it on the radio. I didn't notice quite what was going on at the time, and then I realised (with a surprisingly calm attitude) that one of my best friends was still in Japan. I mentally blocked it from my mind so I could finish getting up, and I think my parents were more surprised at my reaction than me. It's thrown into perspective my very naive belief that 'nothing like that will ever happen to me or anyone I know' it's surprising how much denial can do.  I've had to deal with a lot of shocking and sad things involving my friends in the past year, and without those smaller far less life threatening events I doubt I would have been able to handle this in the calm way I did.
Venus is absolutely fine, and so are her Mother and Grandparents, but it wasn't without worry that I contacted her the only way I could earlier today on Facebook to ask if she was okay... if I had been in an anime I would have collapsed twitching on the floor when I received a message to an earlier asked question from her a while later "LOOL yea hannah uwu and yeash i shall be ciel♥ i would never give up the chance to have some hot sexy time with sabi~kuun♥" ......... she's blatantly fine -.- *facepalm*.......

She and thousands of other people were very luck to be out of the way of the Tsunami and main quake, she apparently only felt a few after shocks, but my heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Nature can be terrifying, and I think the rest of the world could learn some valuable lessons from the way the Japanese authorities are dealing with the situation.

x x x x
Chiru
x x x x

0 comments:

Post a Comment